Saturday 25 October 2008

The new Rita

At this stage Rita is completely sure she is changing in the direction she has always longed for. However, I believe when Frank tells her she has to be careful, she is not referring to her essay but to the fact that she is losing her true self in the transition.
The new Rita is now trying to change her way of speaking just because her flat mate says she’s got an ugly voice. She has also been talking to some university students downstairs and seems to be more interested in speaking about one of them rather than in discussing literature with Frank. .
In spite of all this, Rita is now capable of discussing literature and expressing her ideas properly. I mean, when Frank says he doesn’t like her essay, she manages to show disagreement with him, and, in a way, she is very convincing. I think she is right this time and Frank is not being subjective, because, as I said before, he is using the essay to express his opinion on the new Rita.
All things considered, I don’t think Rita has become wiser than before. I just have the feeling that now she can put her ideas into words and make herself understood. Frank, her knowledge on literature and her new acquaintances have given her the self-confidence that she needed to continue moving on.

6 comments:

RomiMermel said...

I think Rita is more determined than ever, Mir!
I also agree with the fact that she can put her ideas into words. I believe that she has always been able to express her thoughts, her views but not ofen with words but with gestures, short expressions or even her actions.
Now she can get into an argument or a discussion and explicitly show her point of view.
I think Frank is not being subjective about her essay because he is expressing the fact that he misses the old Rita and he liked having her around (by this time Rita´s visits are less and less frequent).
Is hard to let go, isn´t it?

Miriam Rodriguez said...

Absolutely hard! There´s always some selfishness in human beings!When we like things they way they are, we ignore other people´s views or feelings.
We need to learn to let go...
Miriam

Gladys Baya said...

How many nice ideas I get from reading you,Miriam and Romi! Definitely, this Rita is a lot more verbal than the one at the beginning of the play; yet, is it her own ideas she's verbalizing now? Or is this all about what Trish, and Tiger, and "proper students" say life is about?

One last thing: Rita's "visits" to Frank are actually scheduled tutorials for a university exam, remember? Should Frank simply "let her go", taking this into account?

Keep in touch!
Gladys

Miriam Rodriguez said...

I think Frank has no choice but to let her go. Risa now believes she has what she came for the first time she stepped into Frank´s office. However, she has her new friends´ways and views and not her own. That´s what Frank criticises about Rita.
Would you agree?
Miriam

Gladys Baya said...

I see your point, Miriam. Yet, Frank can "let Rita go" with a warm smile, wishing her the very best, or "pull his hair" and grunt (metaphorically speaking, that is!) loudly to show he does not approve of this "new Rita". I wonder which position you think would be more appropriate in this case, you see?
Love,
Gladys

Miriam Rodriguez said...

I think the attitude Frank chose is the one I would choose as a teacher; that is to show I don´t approve of the new Rita. However, I would explain better why not, somethink that Frank does not achieve, maybe because he has other feelings towards Rita.
Miriam