Thursday 30 October 2008

A letter to Mr. Burgess

Dear Mr. Burgess,
I am writing this letter to tell you how I felt during your classes this year, and how I feel now that I have been able to pass my proficiency level exam.
As you remember, Mr. Moore wanted to punish us for our lack of knowledge and our bad behaviour. I really want to thank you for not hitting us and for teaching us that if we worked together and were responsible of our own actions, we would succeed. If not for you, we would have ended up not learning what we have learnt with you.
I now know that I have grown up and I think next year, if we are not lucky enough to have you again as our teacher, we will keep on working hard to learn more things.
I will never forget you. You have been a really good teacher.
Hope to hear from you soon
Keep in touch
Miriam

3 comments:

Gladys Baya said...

Have you ever lived a similar experience, Miriam (as a teacher or student)? Sometimes I look back and realise some people have given me a lot more than I realised at the moment, and wonder if they ever felt my gratitude...

Anyway, I'm sure many of your students will feel grateful towards you, who are so warm and have so much love to give!

Big hug,
Gladys

Miriam Rodriguez said...

Unfortunately not. I was educated in a catholic school where most teachers were authoritarian. However. only a few taught for democracy and I made sure I told them how much I appreciated their teaching before my graduation.
Perhaps, those few teachers inspired me to wish to become a teacher?
Miriam

Gladys Baya said...

We're all both a combination of our own choices and those made by the society around us, Miriam, and no wonder most of your teachers look authoritarian as you look back...

Only you can tell us what inspired you to become a teacher, all I can say is I'm glad you have, on behalf of your students to come! ;-)

All my love,
Gladys

PS: you know, I attended a state school during my childhood, and a small Catholic school during my teen years... Yet, I remember most of my teachers as being warm... lucky me!